Activity 3 really got me thinking. I was assuming I would learn a methodology and rules of cataloguing, apply them, and presto have a perfect cataloguing system. After looking at different library's catalogues I found that they vary greatly, depending upon the clientele and scope of the library. There is not as much standardization as I had hoped. I would like to learn more about how local TLs try to standardize their cataloguing between libraries, and to what degree we bend the rules.
In the course readings for Week 4 these are suggested Classification Rules:
1. Cataloguing can't be learned in a day
2. Dewey is not a perfect system; not all books fit neatly into 1 number
3. Some books can legitimately be catalogued in several numbers; choose the one most appropriate to the curriculum and the conditions in you school
4. Always put a book in a number where it will get maximum usage; move good books if they don't see to be used in you school library
5. Bend the rules to suit you local needs-Catalogue biographies based on district rules.
6. There are subdivisions that can be added to almost any number: 03=dictionaries, encyclopaedias 09=history and criticism 71=Canada 07=education
7. Begin by estimating the Dewey number. Then check the Dewey index. Never assigned a number without look up the actual number in the schedules.
These rules are helpful and give me confidence to create a specific user catalogue, but I do like the idea of school libraries in the district being standardized. At this time each librarian does their own cataloguing. A comment I came across during Week 4 readings is "it’s important to choose the right subject heading for any new items for a library. If not, a good book could be gathering dust rather than being used as an important resource for staff and students." I am hoping as we study subject headings our rationale behind cataloguing rule bending will become clearer.
Another important point I came across while reading the text is that we need to document the policy and procedure for our cataloguing decisions, pg.163. After being in a few different libraries it is amazing how little differences in cataloguing, and shelving and storage of books, can become quite confusing to those not familiar with the library. Changes to formal cataloguing procedure need to be document so staff and library personel know what it going on.
As usual I find I have more questions than answers at this point of the course and look forward to learning more.
Saturday, May 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment