As a beginning teacher librarian I am attracted to practical information on collaborative teaching. Since I am starting out I am looking for how to instructions on developing collaborative teaching practices and Dorian Hickel’s article, “A Formula for Achieving Collaboration” fits my needs. Her ideas are simple and practical and again stress the importance of patience and time to develop relationships with teaching staff and students. In her article, Hickel discusses the importance of allowing teachers to remain in control and not to be overbearing, but more in the right place at the right time. I am beginning to realize that collaborative teaching is more of an art and needs a subtle approach at time. This may take some checking of my own personal communication skills. My immediate response is that I should be able to be direct and say what I need and want and expect the same type of response from other. I need to learn that not all people communicate in the same way or "appreciate" directness. After reading this article I think the 'ask' don't 'tell' advice is something I can focus upon changin in myself and might lead to better results. I can refer to this list as a reference for myself not only to give me ideas of how to build collaborative relationships, but to remind myself that collaboration takes time and energy.
In this article Hickel sets up a formula for collaborative teaching.
1. Work to understand teachers and administrators. I need to learn how each thinks and works as individuals and approach teachers who already like to collaborate and build successes.
2. Offer teacher resources for already established lessons. It can be a printed material or technology, but in this way only one aspect of the lesson is new and the teacher is not overwhelmed.
3. Wait for teachable moments. Suggest resources to students when they need, collect resources for teachers.
4. Realize that it will take time to make change. Use the majority of my energy for teachers who will work with me and let the word get out.
5. Share ideas with administrators. Sum up ideas from a conference, give out examples, etc.
6. Use an “ask” attitude instead of a “tell”. No matter how excited about an idea do not be offended if they do not use your suggestion. Teachers do not want to lose control of their curriculum.
7. Don’t give up, have faith in your ideas.
8. Keep up on the latest information technology. One key role is to encourage staff and students to develop information literacy skills, this can be our “in”/.
Hickel, Dorian. "A Formula for Achieving Collaboration", Source: Library Media Collection; Nov/Dec2006, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p30-31, 2p
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment